Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Tough Ms. B

Yesterday was Riley's first session in a couple of months with Ms.B. Ms.B is a tough behavioral analyst who makes Riley sit down and talk. They do abc puzzles, food puzzles, and flash cards together. If he throws a fit, she says "I'll wait until you are ready", VERY calm! A couple of times she asked, "ready?" and by george he said, "ready." Amazing things happen when Ms. B comes but I can't decide if she is best for Riley or not. She thinks that he needs intense ABA which we did with ECI and that's when he started repeating words for us. I just don't know if there is a school that would work with him or if the one on one with her would fit us the best.

I know that we are going to send him to the local elementary school but they are dragging their feet. I sent in the paperwork the next day (two weeks ago) and when I called yesterday they still hadn't received it. "We've moved and there are many places that it could be. We will let you know when we get it!" I replied, "Well, you haven't got much time because his birthday is Sept. 2 and I want him in school by then." Here she goes with her guard up, "Well we don't know how many birthdays are before his and we will start evaluating by birthdays so I have no idea when we will get to your son!"

Okay, first of all HOW many kids are going to qualify for PPCD around here that would have birthdays BEFORE him???? If there are alot, am I going to want to put him in a class of 15-20??? Are they really THAT unorganized?? Can I hire someone to cut through the BS that this school is going to hand out?? I just got a strange vibe that she was on the defensive for SOME reason!!

Did anyone send their 3 year old to the elementary school and if so, were you pleased? What other option do I have??

1 comment:

ManagerMom said...

Traci,
When I lived in Massachusetts, I got the same runaround from the elementary school about Ian. I hired an education advocate. Marge was worth her weight in gold, and I would have paid her that much to deal with those idiots too! Once the school knew I had an ed advocate, and they knew her name, they backed off and gave me everything I wanted for Ian. All I was asking for was what the law allowed. Since Marge was a former Special Ed teacher, she knew what was required of the school.

If you want, I can help you find someone. Email me.