Monday, January 07, 2008

The Potty (Toilet) Diaries

Today is the toilet training day that I have been looking so forward to. It’s 7 days of Riley going to the toilet every 15 minutes. I have picture supports, social stories, motivators (chocolate and life saver gummies) and the bathroom is decorated ever so nicely with teletubbies. This morning when Riley woke up @8:30 he got a present. He was excited to unwrap it but not so excited when he saw that it was underwear. I made a big deal out of him wearing big boy underwear and today he was going to use the toilet. I slip up and say “potty” every now and then. Oops. So, here is the diary of Riley’s Toilet Adventures.

8:30 Sits on toilet. Will NOT go
8:45 No go
9:00 Cleaning up pee-pee in underwear from an 8:57 pee. Made Riley take underwear to the washing machine. He changed with no problem.
9:15 Sits on toilet. Yells, “No Pee Pee!”

We kept going every 15 minutes until:
10:25 Sat on bed and gave me a deep stare. Pee Pee’d all over his bed. WE ONLY HAD 5 MORE MINUTES TO GO!!! Made him take his underwear and sheets to the washing machine. Started wash.

We kept going every 15 minutes.
2:15 Sits on toilet. Asked for “Chicka Chicka 123!” Let him read his book. Left him. Helped Kylie on the computer. He sat for almost 20 minutes while I did stuff. I came back in and he said, “Finished” I told him to wash his hands. Looked in the toilet. YELLOW!!! Kylie came in and we praised him and gave him reward. He was SO happy with himself.

2:20 Poops in underwear :( We cleaned him up and he went and got underwear like it was his next pull-up. At least I have 30 minutes to myself now.

Going to the toilet to read Chicka every 15 minutes until.....

5:00 Sat down. Grabbed Chicka. I walked out. Sang High School Musical with Kylie. Walked back in. Riley says, “Finished” I look in the toilet. By golly, we struck GOLD! Yellow gold. Texas Pee!! I screamed with excitement as he grinned. He knew what he did. Gave him 2 gummies and he wiped and washed his hands. I think he may be a loner when it comes to doing his business. Kylie loved on him and praised him, too.

5:30 Sat, Sat, Sat

5:45 Sat, grabbed Chicka. I left to answer the phone. Came back and he was so cute I went to get my camera. Walked in, what are you doing? He was wiping his hinny. Riley POOPED! Sure it was just a little sliver and I probably won’t post it but it was the best looking sliver I have ever seen! Plus the fact that he was wiping himself??? He wanted gummies again and was so happy! Washed hands by himself and now he won’t leave me alone. He’s loving on me. :)

Update:

There was no more toilet action after 5:45. He sat on the toilet several times but to no avail.
I suspect that when he took a bath he let it flow. He has really gotten sneaky about that lately. He used to just stand in the bath and pee not caring where it went. Most of the time it went right on Kylie. That’s when she started requesting taking her own bath with her own private time!

Riley slept in a pull up and when he finally stopped talking and went to sleep, it was close to 11:00. I checked on him and he was still dry.

Good first day of the toilet experiment. I am really proud of my little guy!

No comments: