Saturday, June 07, 2008

Summer School

Riley started summer school at Early Class this past week. He has a new clinician, Lacey, and I think she is going to be great with him. She is the picture of calm, cool, and collected and I think that’s something that Riley really appreciates. He has had a couple of meltdowns but nothing too major. He had his best day on Thursday but at the end of the day was angry and threw his folder. It just happened to hit the new kid in the face WHILE I was talking to the new kid’s mom up in the gallery. How embarrassing!! I couldn’t apologize enough!

So, since it has been a couple of weeks that Riley has been potty trained, I went ahead and sent him to school in his underwear. He hasn’t had one accident but still sprays all over the bathroom. I showed him how to stand up at the urinal and he used it without fussing. It happens to be a LOT cleaner, too. But, at home he wants to sit down. sigh. I have Swiffered that bathroom more times than you can count!!

I am loving the way that Riley wants to eat at the table with us. He used to eat at the island but now brings his food over and wants to be a part of the family. I have never seen more eye-contact out of that little guy!! He also wants to sleep with Kylie every night. She was fine with it at first- they giggled for about an hour straight. Now she’s kind of over it but still lets him. He’s at one end with his pillow and blanket and she is at the other.

I feel the need to write about the anti-fungal meds that our DAN! Doctor gave Riley. There were two prescriptions that he had to take. He hated taking them- we literally had to hold him down kicking and screaming- and one was really inconvenient. Three times a day? Are you kidding me? But, Alan and I felt like he was really communicating and talking ALOT while he was on them. Now that we are off of them, we see a lot of stimming. Time to go back. I really can’t wait to wait in that office for five hours. Isn’t that the best? If we didn’t see such great results, I wouldn’t go back. But, that DAN! Doctor really knows his stuff. One of the best decisions we ever made.

No comments: