Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Day 3 Of The Potty Diaries

Let me just start off by saying that if this week doesn’t kill me...........

9:00 Riley woke up. After not going to bed until almost midnight, he is loving his morning sleep-ins. I can’t wait to tick him off next week and throw his schedule WAY off. Another fun week for me. As you can read, I’m not exactly the text-book optimist this morning. Really, when am I ever? This potty training a special needs child is for the birds.

So, Riley woke up DRY. This is a no-brainer, right? I immediately took him to the toilet and sang with him and made sure he was in a great mood. I tried to keep him busy by blowing balloons, counting, Spanish, I was a three ring circus in that bathroom. I even left him alone to do his bizness in private. FORTY MINUTES LATER.........he’s not budging. This is a HUGE power struggle and he is working me over! Since I invented the power struggle, I thought long and hard and came back with that mini-fan that we took away from him several months ago. “First Pee Pee, then fan.” Lots of moaning and crying, then within a minute, I hear the sweet sound of victory.

Time of Pee Pee: 9:47

11:00-2:00 No action happening in the toilet or underwear. Yep. He’s holding out on me. We have started visiting the toilet every 30 minutes now.

2:15 Pee Pee in underwear. He came and brought me his soiled pants and put his underwear on the washing machine. I gave him a big fake smile and said some kind words while we changed his underwear. The outside was smiling and calm but my insides were saying, “I really don’t even care at this point. If it’s so much fun to pee and poop in your pants, so be it! BUT I GIVE UP!!”

Pick up Kylie at school. No accident in the car. Came back and sat on the toilet. He said, “Finished” without doing anything. My attitude has changed. I guess the fresh air helped me get a grip.

3:30 Skipped with Riley to the bathroom. Read him “Everyone Poops” Kylie and Katelyn stood behind the door and giggled. It IS a funny book. No action.

4:00 Sat on the toilet and finally pee 10 minutes later. Gave him a chocolate and praised him. I can’t wait until he comes to me in 5 minutes with poopy underwear.

No comments: